Latest Update: 14 July 2015 08:49
At Thomas Cook, the safety and well-being of our customers is our primary concern. As a result of the change in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice on travel to Tunisia, Thomas Cook can confirm that it has cancelled all future bookings to Tunisia up until 31st October 2015.
In response to the recent change in FCO advice, Thomas Cook took the decision to bring all customers back to the UK using scheduled Thomas Cook flights and third party carriers. Between Friday 10 and Sunday 12 July 2015, eleven flights were scheduled to transport approximately 2,000 customers back to the UK.
Peter Fankhauser, Group CEO, Thomas Cook PLC, comments, “Our customers are at the heart of everything we do and their safety and welfare is always our first priority. Thankfully, situations of this nature are extremely rare, and I am so proud of how our team rose to the challenge in an incredibly professional way. The mobilisation of our teams and the magnitude of the repatriation has been quite astounding in such a short space of time. Everyone has been working tirelessly and has done a tremendous job of looking after our customers. The courage and commitment displayed throughout this incident has made me extremely proud to be the CEO of Thomas Cook.”
Specialist Assistance Teams were immediately sent to Tunisia to offer customers additional support in resort and to help coordinate the logistics of the repatriation. The teams in resort and in the UK have worked around the clock to orchestrate the return of our customers as quickly and seamlessly as possible. We are pleased to now confirm that all Thomas Cook UK customers have arrived back in the UK safely.
The flights arrived back in to eight regional departure airports across the UK, and 35 coaches were hired to transport customers back to their point of origin. To assist guests who landed back in the UK, 75 additional retail staff were deployed to the eight airports. In addition, the call centre team have done a phenomenal job of answering nearly 3,000 calls relating to Tunisia in the last week.
In response to increased demand Thomas Cook has added capacity in four other popular holiday destinations for this summer including Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, and Turkey.
Customers can also visit their local Thomas Cook store, which will be happy to assist with any queries or requests. Details of all our stores and their opening hours can be found using our Store Locator
Thomas Cook will provide further updates as and when appropriate on this page.
To view the latest Tunisia travel advice, click here
- All Thomas Cook UK brand guests are included, including independent travellers with flight only bookings
- At the time of the change to the FCO travel advice, Thomas Cook UK had 1200 package customers in resort, 500 flight only and 240 accommodation only
- We are working with customers that flew home from Tunisia early to reimburse them for missed days on holiday
- Thomas Cook will proactively be contacting all those returning from Tunisia earlier than planned with a view to addressing any concerns they might have with regards to their booking
- Due to the sensitive nature of the incident, we are very flexible with our policy, we will assist all of those booked to go to Tunisia to find alternative holidays with no administration charge or alternatively cancel their holiday with no charges if they chose to do so (up until 31st October 2015)
- Extra holidays have been introduced to Spain, Turkey, Algarve and Bulgaria for those switching from Tunisia to offer more choice and availability to those re-booking
To read our Tunisia Customer FAQ's, click here.